Andrew Malcolm Furniture
In the 1850’s, John Watson a young Scotsman opened a furniture shop at Kincardine, where he produced household furniture. About the same time, Andrew Malcolm emigrated to the British West Indies. The climate was too hot and he sailed north to Canada where he was employed by the Canada Land Company in the Queen’s Bush.
Watson and Malcolm formed a partnership and under the company name of Watson and Malcolm began producing furniture at Kincardine. John Watson died in 1897. Andre Malcolm’s two sons Andrew and James joined the business and it became Andrew Malcolm Furniture Company. James Malcolm managed the Kincardine company and Andrew Malcolm Jr. managed the Listowel Factory. High quality period furniture was produced by both companies.,
Lumber for the Kincardine plant arrived by boat from Manitoulin Island. the finished furniture was shipped by railway from the Atlantic coast to the Pacific coast and exported as well.
This beautiful, Canadian made furniture was used in many Canadian Hotels and one Jamaican Hotel.
Mosquito Bomber parts kept the company very busy during World War II. Over 300 people were employed in this work. Following the war the company returned to making furniture.
Difficulty in securing workers forced the company to close in 1973.