Jacob Baetz, Sr., came to Berlin in 1868 and learned the mason’s trade. Afterward he became a building contractor, beginning with homes and then some of the largest blocks and churches of his day. Mr. Baetz was active for nearly fifty years. During that period, he was for some years a business associate of John S. Anthes in the Anthes Furniture Company. In 1908 Mr. Baetz erected a factory at 264 Victoria Street, Kitchener for his sons Jacob H. and Charles J., in which they founded the Baetz Furniture Company. In 1916, the brothers established also the Baetz specialty company to make floor and table lamps. Two years later they purchased an interest in the Anthes furniture Company (now the Anthes-Baetz Co.) at 242 Breithaupt Street, Kitchener makers of high-grade furniture. Mr. J.H. Baetz was Managing Director of the three companies, and Mr. C.J. Baetz, Vice-President of the 3 companies.